Sunday, April 13, 2008

Tube testor works...I guess.


I bought this tube tester last year, probably before I retrieved the Magnovox console. This Century model FS-2 was made in the late '50s or early '60s. I hadn't tested it or tried to use until today. There were NO diagnostics or self-test described in the manual, so I had no real way of knowing if it works. I read the instructions and plugged it in. No sparks or explosions. I tested the REALISTIC brand 12AX7 which I pulled from the Magnovox, as well as a 5Y3 and three 6L6GT tubes which were in a batch of (over 100) tubes that came with the testor. The 5Y3 is a CROSLEY brand and it tested fine. But only one of the 6L6GT tubes tested OK and it is a SHELDON. Also visible in these photos are the two cold-war era Polish ammunition cans which will serve as a chassis for this project and possibly for my tremelo and reverb unit too. I have choke transformers also, so the only major component that I am still missing is an output transformer.

No comments: