Sunday, June 3, 2012

Carmen Ghia clone Finished!

After 9 months worth of work on and off, I finally finished building a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia clone. I built it from the old Hammond AO-35 reverb amp, given to me by Ron Ashcraft back on Monday, May 12, 2008. Building the cabinet took more time, effort, and money, than did modifying the A0-35 circuit. I took lots of photos of the entire process. I will put them all out on a photo dump in the future. The amp sounds great but has more gain than I need around the house, so I've swapped the phase inverter tube from a 12AX7 to a 12AT7. The result is a little more clean headroom with a little less noise.
If you receive this blog update as an email, remember to use the link at the bottom of the email to get to the actual blog. Once there you can click on the photos and they will enlarge.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I recently built an 18 watt Lite IIb using a Hammond AO-43 chassis, iron and scavenged parts, and now I've caught the amp building bug.

I just picked up an AO-35 with the intent of making a CG clone, and would love to see/hear more about yours, as well as sound clips. Your build looks pretty sharp. What sort of heat shielding did you use in the cabinet?